‘Could’ve Been The One’ is the first single in her forthcoming album.
The song is a reminder of lost love and cleverly invokes feelings from past loves, a soulmate, jealousy, and how hard some people are to forget. Lyrics like “You could’ve been the one, but we had to move on, no matter where I go, you make sure your ghost follows..” sung in her clear, captivating voice ensures the single is thought provoking, pure and a pleasure to listen to. In Marianne’s own words I wrote “Could’ve Been The One”, experimenting a little and branching out to a more acoustic pop sound. I worked with a new producer on this track to experiment with the production, adding strings to create a romantic feel but sticking to the acoustic production to keep the track simple and memorable.
Background & Achievements
Marianne is a strong, well-rounded indie pop musician with influencers such as Bic Runga and Taylor Swift. She has already achieved a great deal for one so young. Marianne has:
· Written songs and been mentored by Bic Runga in Christchurch.
· Recorded a song with Jamie McDell at Roundhead Studios, which will be released in May 2020 along with a TV Show episode that features up and coming young songwriters work with New Zealand musicians.
· Performed at the annual Big Gay Out Festival in early February.
· Performed on What Now TV Show and Cath Vincent TV Show.
Here is a link to interview:
· Been interviewed and broadcasted on the Planet FM and Panmure and Caster Bay FM radio station, and is being featured on KickArts Radio for single "Apologise".
· Placed 1st in 2019 Auckland Regional of Smokefree Rockquest with original song “Best of Me”
· Interviewed by Tearaway Magazine for debut EP "Timeline", which can be read using this link: https://tearaway.co.nz/marianne-leigh-and-her-latest-ep/
· Performed at the NZ Ukulele Festival in late 2018 and 2019, with winning song of the Uke Can Do It songwriting competition "Up".
· The song “Up” was recorded and released in their songwriting book and CD, available for primary schools around New Zealand to learn the song.
ï Was a finalist of the Play It Strange Lion Foundation songwriting competition with songs "You” and "Not Enough".
· Featured in Tearaway Magazine Top 20 Summer Hits
· Interviewed by Jesse Mulligan and played own original song "Could've Been the One" live on Radio New Zealand (RNZ)
Here are some links to Marianne’s music:
Best of Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDBqpkynDb4
Little out of Reach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVQuN_bn3Ys
Look At Me: https://soundcloud.com/marianneleighmusic/look-at-me/s-f7IEX
Here is a link to Marianne’s social media pages & Website, so you can see more if you'd like to!
Here is Marianne’s Artist Profile interview with Smokefree Rockquest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxreoSogMis